S P R I N G T I M E! There are so many things to love about it. One of them, especially when you’re deep in the heart of Texas, is peaches. Fresh, beautiful, juicy Fredericksburg peaches are truly something to write home about. And knowing that peach season was approaching, I couldn’t help myself but jump the gun a little a make a peach shrub. But not just any peach shrub. No, I’m not ready to leave behind my brown liquor yet. Plus, there’s always the possibility of a late cold snap. So I leaned into creamy drinks and treats and landed on a peaches & cream shrub that pairs just beautifully with bourbon for a fizzed cocktail you won’t be able to get enough of.
Peaches & Cream Shrub
While OBVIOUSLY, I would have preferred to bring fresh, beautiful peaches into this first shrub of the season, they just aren’t ready yet. And when they are, I’ll make a bright and tangy shrub with them (maybe add tarragon?! or tamarind?? So many possibilities!). But until then, frozen will do nicely. That’s one of the terrific things about shrubs — frozen fruit really doesn’t make much material difference in the final result, so you can shortcut and get close to the flavors you want regardless of season.
For this guy, the recipe was pretty straight forward:
- 3 cups frozen peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- Shake those two up in a big glass jar and let sit for a day. Mash with the back of a wooden spoon, then add:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Let sit another week in the fridge. Run everything through the blender, then strain using a cheesecloth or strainer or not at all, if you are into having some peach pulp in your shrub. Up to you, homes.
Boom! You’re done. And you have this delicious, tangy-sweet peachy syrup that you can add to anything from vodka to mezcal for a springtime mixer that’s above the ordinary.
However, for our ~Southern purposes, we will be adding it to whiskey and topping with club soda because 1) fizz is a great word to add to a cocktail name, and 2) whiskey and peaches are a match made in heaven.
Mix & Fizz
You know how I love a simple cocktail name, right? One that’s totally descriptive of what’s gonna be in your glass? Do you see where I’m going with this?
Now that you’ve got your peaches & cream shrub, the rest of this cocktail is easy-peasy. (Exactly as it should be for something you’re mixing up on a breezy spring day!) Just add your bourbon and shrub over ice, mix, and top with club soda! Perfectly uncomplicated for whether this is your first happy hour sip or the last drink of the night.
- 1.5 oz peaches & cream shrub (see recipe above)
- 1.5 oz bourbon of choice
- top with club soda
- Fill an old fashioned glass (or similar) with ice.
- Pour in shrub and bourbon, then mix with a spoon to incorporate.
- Fill with another 2 - 4 oz of club soda, mix again and enjoy!
- Don't feel up to making the shrub? Just swap out for peach syrup or even peach preserves and a dash of vanilla extract to approximate the flavors!
Go for a Peaches & Cream & Bourbon & Fizz when…
This is an easy one! These flavors are classic and homey, every bit as comforting and refreshing as pie and ice cream. In fact, this is basically peach pie a la mode in cocktail form! (With a little Southern kick — and no one’s complaining!) So mix one up next time:
- You invite a few gals over for happy hour and it’s juuuuuuuust hot enough that you want to turn on the outside fans and really soak up your Southern belle-ness.
- You’re hosting a baby shower and want to provide some nice “adult” beverages to take the edge off of all the squealing and “OH MY GAWWWW”ing and pastel-induced hysteria.
- You want something quick, easy, and of variable proof (hey, you can always play with the ratio of bourbon to shrub and seltzer!) but if you drink any more beer you’re pretty sure you will wake up as a hop or grain. This baby balances the sweet and the tart better than any hefe I’ve ever had. <3